Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Winter Chutney

Chutneys are sweet, tangy, and spicy.
Use on crackers, bread or pasta by itself or with cheese, butter, or olive oil.

We buy a bunch of cilantro and another bunch of parsley at the farmers market each Sunday. Frequently the heads are almost untouched by Friday. So on Friday I blend them into a chutney.

Raymond sells bunches for $2/- each. The local ethnic market (Namaste) sells them 3 for a dollar. However $4/- a week is not a lot of money and I like the idea of an organic farm in Hollister 50 miles from where I live.

This time of the year multiple vendors sell California Navel oranges at $8/- for a ten pound bag. Most claim they don’t spray and are waiting for certification. However I'm not sure about the whole seedless oranges market dominance. What kind of freak of nature are these things?

Two naval oranges peeled and cut into large chunks. Drop into the bottom of the blender. I’ve also used apples, blood oranges, and kiwis in the past. Whatever is available.

One clove garlic. One small half inch section ginger.

Handful of nuts. I used walnuts today. I’ve used almonds too in past.

Blend briefly till the large items have broken down.

Add
One teaspoon cumin powder.
Salt to taste about half a teaspoon.
Half a teaspoon cayenne, more to taste.
One each rinsed remaining bunch of cilantro and parsley. I’ve also used left over arrugula.

Blend to a fine paste.

No comments: